Being virtually free of sugar, fat & protein, lettuce (generally) has built a reputation for being virtually void of all nutritional value. It does however still provide some important vitamins & minerals that are essential to daily requirements. Some varieties (eg: Cos/Romaine) contain higher levels of nutrients than others (eg: Iceberg).
- 15 calories / 100g
- 95% water
Great source of:
- VitaminA, C& K
- Fight free-radicals which cause inflammation and chronic diseases.
- Boost bone density and prevent osteoporosis.
- Assist in blood clotting and tissue healing.
- Prevent plaque build-up in blood vessels which can lead to heart disease & stroke.
- Promote healthy eyesight and prevent thickening of the cornea, cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Control neuronal damage and prevent memory loss.
- Improve complexion, prevent skin damage and defend against the signs of aging.
- Boost immunity and reduce symptoms associated with colds and flus.
- Help to maintain a healthy pregnancy.
- Help improve digestion and intestinal health.
- Assist with weight loss and maintenance.