Cabbage is part of the cruciferous family of vegetables and is related to broccoli and kale. It can come in either green or red/purple varieties and is extremely low in calories, but high in nutritional and health benefits.
- 31 calories / 100g
- 88% water
Great source of:
- Vitamins A, B6, C &K
- Folate (B9)
- Riboflavin (B2)
- Thiamin (B1)
- Dietary fibre
Cabbage (red, in particular) may:
- Boost the immune system.
- Reduce inflammation and arthritic pain.
- Support healthy bone development & reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Prevent degenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease & Parkinson’s disease.
- Strengthen gut health, particularly when fermented (eg: kimchi).
- Reduce blood pressure and the risk of heart disease.
- Prevent macular degeneration.
- Assist in the repair of wounds & injuries.
- Prevent colon cancer.