Buckwheat (Kasha or Soba), is a gluten-free seed packed full of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Although it’s technically a seed (and high in both protein and fibre), it is often thought of as a grain because it is lower in fat and higher in starch than most other seeds.
- 375 calories / 100g (uncooked)
- 8% water
- 80 calories / 100g (cooked)
- 80% water
Great source of:
- VitaminB6, B Complex
- Niacin (B3)
- Lower unhealthy cholesterol levels & prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Reduce blood lipid levels, reduce blood pressure and improve weight regulation.
- Fight free-radical damage and support brain, liver and digestive health.
- Regulate digestion and protect against gastrointestinal diseases.
- Balance blood sugar levels and prevent inflammation, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Aid muscle recovery & growth.
- Support effective circulation and blood vessel functioning.
- Aid neurotransmitter signalling and help to fight depression, anxiety and headaches.
- Fermented buckwheat acts as an important prebiotic that nourishes healthy bacteria in the digestive tract.
- Buckwheat also contains the essential amino acids lysine and arginine that aren’t found in other common cereals and grains.