AvocadoNutrition Benefits Recipes
Food is Medicine: enjoy these simple recipes and discover how avocado can support your health and wellness.
Avocado nutrition, benefits, recipes.... let your imagination run wild with the potential of fresh produce! Avocados are literally packed full of health benefits, being dense in vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre, monounsaturated fatty acids & antioxidants. The two main varieties of avocados available in Australia are Hass and Shepard, which are predominantly available from May through to January and from February through to May, respectively.
As part of a healthy and well balanced eating pattern, avocado can support your health and wellness, by providing:
- 215 calories / 100g
- 70% water
- Vitamin A, B5 & B6, C, E & K
- Potassium (higher content than bananas)!
Health Benefits May Include:
- Assist in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins.
- Support eye health & prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Prevent arteriosclerosis and improve heart health.
- Blood sugar regulation and reduced risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Support the appearance of healthy, youthful looking skin and hair.
- Increase lymphocyte cell production to boost immunity.
- Increase satiety and support weight loss.
- Boost digestion and beneficial gut flora.
- Improve blood lipid profiles and protect against diabetes.
- Improve hormonal balance.
- Improve cognitive functioning.
Depending upon the variety of avocado, the colour may or may not be a good indicator of the fruit’s ripeness. It is therefore best to pick a level of firmness that meets your needs. The softer the fruit, the riper it is. It is recommended that avocados are stored at room temperature to ripen to its optimum level, however this process can be speeded up by placing it in a brown paper bag with a banana for a day or two. Refrigerate when ripe.
Avocado Nutrition Health Benefits & Recipes:
For a further detailed nutritional analysis of avocado, search:
To learn more about how avocado can fit into a healthy and balanced eating pattern, search:
To learn more about growing your own avocado at home: