Asparagus Nutrition Benefits Recipes
Food is Medicine: enjoy these simple recipes and discover how asparagus can support your health and wellness.
Asparagus nutrition, benefits, recipes.... let your imagination run wild with the potential of fresh produce! Related to the lily family and available in green, white and purple varieties, asparagus is extremely low in calories and is packed full of vitamins and minerals!Primarily available throughout spring, asparagus is also available into the summer months as well.
As part of a healthy and well balanced eating pattern, asparaguscan support your health and wellness, by providing:
- 25 calories / 100g
- 93% water
- Vitamin A, B6, C, E & K
- Thiamin (B1)
- Riboflavin (B2)
- Niacin (B3)
Health Benefits May Include:
- Prevent inflammation and chronic health problems including hypertension and heart disease.
- Support the production and development of red blood cells, DNA and a healthy foetus.
- Boosts digestive health, prevents constipation and supports beneficial gut bacteria.
- Support healthy weight management through high levels of dietary fibre.
- Act as a natural diuretic and prevent urinary tract infections.
- Improves energy, metabolism, focus and strength.
- Reduce bloating & menstrual cramps.
- Increase bone density & prevent fractures.
- Lower the risk of developing some cancers.
When selecting asparagus in-store, select spears that are bright in colour, uniform in size with closed, compact tips. When you snap freshly harvested asparagus, it should be crisp, moist and juicy. Asparagus is best stored in cool, humid conditions. Either wrap spears in a damp tea towel, place them in a plastic bag and pop them in the fridge, or place upright in a container of shallow water in the fridge.
Asparagus Nutrition Health Benefits & Recipes:
For a further detailed nutritional analysis of asparagus, search:
To learn more about how asparagus can fit into a healthy and balanced eating pattern, search:
To learn more about growing your own asparagus at home:
Asparagus & Pea Slice
Find the recipe at:
380 calories per serve